Guidance for schools hireing coaches or coaching companies
Surrey County FA & Surrey Schools FA
Guidance for Schools Hiring Football Coaches or Coaching Companies
- At least 1 coach at the session must be qualified to a minimum 1st 4 Sport Level 2 Coaching Football or higher.
- Other coaches should have a minimum 1st 4 Sport Level 1 Coaching Football.
- Each coach should provide proof of an up to date Emergency Aid / First Aid Certificate, FA Safeguarding Children’s Certificate and FA CRB Check.
Note - Members of the FA Licensed Coaches scheme have this in place on joining and are committed to attending CPD sessions throughout the year.
- It is recommended that coaches of 5-11 year olds have attended FA Youth Award Module courses
- Coaches should adhere to the FA Respect Program Code of Conduct.
- Example costs per hour for Football Coaches are:- Level 2, £25-30, Level 1 £15-20. Note - some companies will charge a day rate or cost per child.
- It would be advisable to ask for proof of self employment status before paying coach direct.
- FA Recommended ratio 16 players to 1 coach.
- A minimum two coaches/supervisory staff should be in attendance at all times.
- Children should be grouped appropriately in terms of age, size and ability.
Facilities, Equipment and Procedures
- Equipment suitable for age and stage of development of youngsters.
E.g. Size 3 ball up to U8, Size 4 ball for U9-U14 Size 5 for 14+.
- Appropriate toilet procedure in place.
- Appropriate secure, enclosed changing area for which the teacher should supervise.
- Enclosed eating area (where a lunch break is incorporated).
- Coach to carry out risk assessment of site prior to start.
- Telephone number of parent/carer to be provided in case of emergency.
- Coaches made aware of any medical conditions.
- Register maintained for all sessions.
Appropriate de-registration procedure at end of day e.g. children should be signed out.
- Public Liability Insurance to be provided by the Course organiser (min. £5million).
- You may want to require individual coaches to have insurance (note this can be purchased through the FA Coach Licensing scheme).
If you require further guidance please contact either;
Surrey County FA Football Development Team on 01372 384 744 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Surrey Schools FA Secretary Richard Jones on 07960 417946 or email email@example.com